Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Search Engines


Search Engines

I wanted to pass on some ideas for searching on the internet which also bypasses Google searches.  I’m sure you have noticed that Google searches returns commercial sites first.  Sometimes that works for me but most of the time it doesn’t.  So most of the time I need to go several pages into the search to find relevant links.  I’ve even gone 10 or more pages into a search to find meaningful links.  (Of course this done little for me with my too sedentary life style.)

So I came across this link http://www.norele.com/ which is a new search engine.  And it’s story is this:

“Norele.com was built to serve a need to have search results returned unbiased. Research results come back in the order you expect. Synonyms of search words and generic returns based on what other people's previous searches are listed last. You can clearly see if the results contain all of the words you searched for, or if the exact string was found.”

Another technique is to use the Wiki webpage as a search engine, or simply types wiki "your search words" into Google or whatever. The related Wiki discussion will be near the top on the first page.  Wiki’s reference links and external links are there, with the garbage links screened out.

I hope this helps you.  I’ll be outside working on the garden or walking the dogs now.

1 comment:

  1. stories about Norele, pronounced No"rel*e\, n..
    at Prlog.org
    Why norele.com? http://www.prlog.org/11536176-dirt-road-and-the-internet.html, Birth of a search http://www.prlog.org/11526547-callous-on-my-wrist-from-surfing-the-net.html

    ReplyDelete