Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Not just because of Easter, Sunday Was …

Not just because of Easter, Sunday Was …

Not just because of Easter, Sunday was a great day.  The serious Spain rain (yes, “the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, I mean “Tacoma”, no that was when I was a kid, I mean here now – the rain forest I live in) didn’t start falling until evening.  So during the day the mist, light rain, and sun breaks were very manageable.  Even our neighbor in front cut down two Alders (like a weed hereabouts), burned the branches in a large bonfire, and cut up the Alders into firewood.  But the neighbor’s activity had nothing to do with the day’s greatness.

For the first time, I wore my new “Dave the Breadman” outfit - white sweats and large white t-shirt.  I decided to make some gluten-free crumpets for Janine to take on her trip back east.  



The first thing I wanted to do was to make the crumpets using whey (draining yogurt overnight results in whey and yogurt cheese).  The crumpets I make are a take-off of Bette Hagman’s recipe which, I read somewhere, all by itself is sufficient reason to fork over the bucks to buy her book The Gluten Free Gourmet.

After reviewing the recipe I decided on making four dozen – one dozen of four different kinds.  The four kinds were coconut flour, yellow popcorn flour, garbanzo bean flour, and sweet white sorghum flour.  In each I replaced one cup of whey for one cup of water and for the last dozen I mixed the four with the whey and let it sit for about 3 hours before using the dough in the last batch.

Good friends from Seattle made a surprise visit for a few hours on Sunday.  They were hopping around while the baking was done.  So I had several more guinea pigs for the modified results.  Just out of the oven warm crumpets were sliced, buttered, and devoured.   

No comments:

Post a Comment